Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Wolverine Nation Handbook

The Wolverine Nation Handbook

For years I've wanted to write about my favorite football team, the Michigan Wolverines, and what I believe it takes, and means, to be a fan of the winning est team in college football history.

Being a Wolverine fan isn't easy these days, but true fans of the Maize & Blue, myself included, are still there every Saturday, cheering on the Wolverines as they run out onto the gridiron, representing the team, the team, the team.

The past few years have been very taxing for fans of Michigan Football. 

At the end of the 2007 season the Wolverines stood atop every other Division 1/FBS team in wins All-Time, with 869.


Two and a half years later Michigan is still #1 on the list, but the total has only increase to 882, an increase of only 13 games. 

By comparison, the Wolverines won 11 games in 2006.


Web sites, sorts talk radio, print and TV media, and disgruntled fans have turned on the Michigan Program, calling out the Head Coach, the players, and the program.


I have been a Michigan fan since that day in 1976 when I saw that headline in my hometown newspaper, the Kalamazoo Gazette, that the #1 team in all of college football resided right down the road. I was a fan for life.


I will never, repeat, never, be one of those fans.


I love Michigan Football, and I believe the current culture of college football fans and attack media are ripping the game apart.


Because of my love for the Wolverines, I am writing what I believe should be the absolute guide to how to represent the University of Michigan Football team as a fan.


This guide is one of respect, of love, and of passion. 

Negative, hate filled rants at players, coaches, and the U of M will  not be found in it's pages.


If you are negative, complaining about things out of your control, just to be hateful and mean spirited, then this may, or may not, be the best thing for you.


Or maybe it is.


Go Blue!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment